Tuesday, March 2, 2010

it's all in the training

since i don't know where to start, i guess i'll start in the middle since that's where i currently reside. about 3 months ago i started training for a half marathon. if you know me, you know this is quite out of character. i am not really one to just up and do a half marathon. to be honest, i'm not one to really run anywhere...unless, i'm being chased by rabid dogs, of course. so, for me, this is a big deal.

last year, i went on a trip with my best friends from high school and learned something very profound. i learned that i have access to the power of Jesus Christ through his Holy Spirit that lives inside of me. And for the last 10 months, that revelation has changed my life. i have always known this truth but i guess i've never really applied it to my own life. in my life, i tend to be safe. i make safe choices. i give decisions a lot of thought. and this may seem like a fine way to live, except that lately, for me, fine's not good enough anymore. i want more out of this life. i need more out of this life. i think when Jesus told us in his Word that he wanted to give us an abundant life, i don't think he meant "safe" or "fine".

after that trip i started really thinking, "what if i actually believed in the POWER of the Holy Spirit?" what if rather than living in fear, i lived with confidence. what if i actually believed in myself; that i'm capable of doings things that scare me. what if i lived with reckless abandon. what if instead of letting my fear of failure guide my decisions, i let the Holy Spirit dictate what i can and can't do. what if.

so, with this newfound courage and confidence, i decided to run a half marathon. and because i feel like the Spirit led me to this place, i feel i should honor that and document my journey. this way, hopefully, i won't forget what it's like to really live dependent on Christ to get me through. i began this training by only being able to run 1 mile...i am now up to 7 miles. it has become evident to me that in order to reach my goal, training is the key. in the beginning, 13 and 1/2 miles seemed an impossible task to overcome. now, it's a goal within reach. it's all in the training.



No comments:

Post a Comment